Valencia College & Seminole State College Orlando Magic Youth Foundation Scholarship Program
The Orlando Magic Youth Foundation has partnered with Valencia College and Seminole State College to award current high school seniors that plan to attend Valencia College or Seminole State College during the upcoming fall 2013 term. This scholarship is available for two years. One recipient from each school will be awarded $6,000 for a total of four semesters.
Students must complete the 2013 OMYF Scholarship Application by April 1, 2013 as well as meet the following requirements:
- Must be degree seeking.
- Must demonstrate financial need. (Submit copies of a parent or guardian’s 2012 or most recent federal income tax return or W-2)
- Must have a weighted cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale. (You must include a copy of your most recent transcript.)
- The student must be a graduating senior from Seminole, Orange or Osceola counties.
- Student plans to attend Valencia College or Seminole State College beginning as a freshman for the fall term of 2013.
- Please include a typed statement with your completed OMYF application of no more than 500 words. IF YOU COULD CREATE YOUR OWN COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM OR ORGANIZATION HERE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA, WHAT WOULD IT BE, WHO WOULD IT SERVE AND WHY?
- Provide information detailing extracurricular activities, school activities and/or honors programs.
- Secure two (2) letters of recommendation referencing academic status or community service. (Letters are acceptable from the following: teachers, counselors, community leaders, mentors, etc.)
Once students are selected to receive OMYF scholarship funding, there are three (3) key components that must be maintained for funding to continue throughout the duration of the scholarship period:
- Academics – Students are expected to maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA at VC or SSC in order to qualify for award dollars each semester.
- Community Service – Students are required to complete 30 hours of community service per semester. The Orlando Magic Youth Foundation Department will gladly provide recommendations on possible projects, internships and opportunities for community outreach. It is the responsibility of each student to forward copies of their hours to VC or SSC.
- Extracurricular Activities– Participation in extracurricular activities is encouraged. These activities can provide students with valuable experiences to develop leadership and team building skills. It is also a great way to help build your resume and meet new people.
In order to apply, please submit or mail your OMYF scholarship application by April 1, 2013 to the school you plan to attend:
C/O Ms. Jen Bhagirath, Scholarship Coordinator
190 S. Orange Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
Foundation for Seminole State College of Florida, Inc.
C/O Mr. John Gyllin, Executive Director
100 Weldon Boulevard
Sanford, Florida 32773
*If you are applying to Valencia College and Seminole State College – please mail applications to both institutions.
Application, Guidelines, and More Information:
Please visit: http://www.nba.com/magic/news/cohen_scholarships_051111.html to learn more about OMYF and their past recipients.
Filed under: Valencia College | Tagged: First Generation Students, High School Seniors, Orange County, Orlando Magic, Orlando Magic Youth Foundation, Osceola County, scholarships, Seminole County, Valencia College, Valencia Foundation |